The City of Kawartha Lakes, Poverty Reduction Strategy
In 2012, United Way along with other community partners took a lead role in the development of the City of Kawartha Lakes Poverty Reduction Strategy. According to this strategy, affordable and accessible housing, transportation, food security, employment, children and youth are the areas that require immediate attention.
The Food Security Action Plan and Food Charter recommendations were received and endorsed by the City of Kawartha Lakes Council in August 2014. United Way and its community partners also identified the following priority outcomes:
- Improve nutrition for citizens through community and collective kitchen workshops;
- Provide hands-on cooking and gardening skills (these are considered transferable skills sets with potential to move some participants towards Safe Food Handling designations);
- Reduce social isolation and improve inclusion for rural seniors, families and people with disabilities;
- Increase physical activity for rural citizens through gardening;
- Create community based/led programs without stigmatization around poverty;
- Inter-generational programs.
Please visit the City of Kawartha Lakes website for more details and to access the full reports: